kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Heating Snakes and UVB.... Everyone needs to read this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herps and Kids Forum ]

Posted by Bammer on January 21, 2003 at 18:14:16:

How do YOU heat your Snakes?

This is a long post how I think some store owners can be evil.

Ok, Yesterday... I went with my friend to help him get a snake. I knew what the snake needed. (He was getting a snow cornsnake) He had the tank and everything.. except a method of heat. We went into this petstore and I was asking how much the heating pads are and we was looking at the snake. Well... The owner said a heating pad wouldnt be enough and we needed.. UVB LIGHTS!! YES, YOU HEARD ME!!

UV FRICKING B LIGHTS

(In case some of you dont know what these are.. they are the long bulb you see over fish tanks and large lizard cages) SHe walked away for a moment and I said to my friend "she is trying to cheat us".... ok.. basically I said to the store owner that snakes DO NOT NEED UVB.. in a calm manner of course. ANd she got very frustrated with me and rudely told me I was wrong. I was so pissed off. SHe said how she had snakes that got sick or died and once she put the lights on they got better... and how vets told her about the lights...

I am no expert. I know that. But I have been keeping my snakes without UVB for all the time I have had snakes. Never Have I Had ONE Death.

Ok, Here is the part were I might feel like an idiot if you all say "Yes." Do snakes need UVB? Last night the way I care for my snakes was questioned.. and I want to do everything right. I think the lady just wanted the money..... sigh... how corrupt some people are....

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herps and Kids Forum ]