kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Cool observation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on April 30, 2003 at 07:34:37:

In Reply to: Cool observation posted by Eric East on April 29, 2003 at 18:04:03:

Eric, it sounds like "like mother like daughter"; the mother of your girl shows the same behaviors from time to time (much less in her older age than when she was just a young whipper snapper). It is probably a combination of defensive behavior (perhaps being in a larger and more open cage despite the hiding areas you provide) AND the head wavering, also exhibited by other species such as coachwhips/racers/etc., may be due to these diurnal, active predators trying to get a better field of vision on their intended prey targets (STRICTLY a guess)....my raptors show the same behavior. Anyway, that's a neat observation and enjoy it now because it will probaby disappear in a year or two (assuming you feed dead prey). Sounds like she's doing well.

:I had been keeping my 2002 female eastern in a medium sized rubber maid (about the length of her body)with a heat tape running underneath. The tape was regulated to around 78 degrees but there was not really a "hot" spot for basking. I've recently moved her into a considerably larger cage & she seems more active although she still spends the majority of her time in the hide box at the cool end of the cage. However I am now offering her a heat rock which is regulated to about 88 degrees & she does seem to utilize it. Tonight when I walked into the room & found her regulating on the rock she did something i've never seen her do before. She raised her head & bagan slowly waving her head & neck back & forth. At first I though Oh No, she's gonna regurg! After a minute or so she stopped doing this & began flicking her tongue in that alert/aggressive mannor & started cruising around the cage with her neck flattened out. Now, i've heard of the neck flattening in an agitated indigo but, i've not heard of the head waving. Is this something you guys have seen in your snakes? Do you think her new found attitude has to do with her new surroundings? Was I perhaps keeping her too cool before?
:I'm not concerned, just curious. Thanks for your input!

:Eric

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]