kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

This whole thing started me remembering.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 28, 2003 at 07:56:56:

In Reply to: let's get some thoughts going on this... posted by DeanAlessandrini on April 25, 2003 at 09:48:19:

...the first time I ever even saw an Indigo. I was a little kid, musta been in the late '50's or early '60's. There was one of those little roadside zoos a few miles from my house. They had probably a half dozen HUGE (well, they seemed huge to me then) Eastern Indigos housed together in this one cage. My Dad's job was to take me there every weekend after mass to see the snakes. They had all sorts of other cool stuff, too. Of course, we didn't make it EVERY Saturday (it's hard to find good help these days), but we made it a fair number of times. Anyway, those Indigos were housed like that for several years with no incidents that I was aware of. I never noticed any of them missing or beat up anything that I can remember. I do remember being impressed with the Indigos even more than the big Pythons, the Rattlesnake Pit, or any of the others that usually grab a kid's attention. I wanted one so bad I could taste it, but well...7 year olds and mom's often have different opinions on what an appropriate pet is.

:I know we have all agreed (for the most part) that it is always best to house Dry’s separately. I also know there are a few of us (dannio is one I know for sure) who had good luck housing more than one together.

:I’m very big on LARGE cages for my adult Dry’s. I use 6’-7’ cages for all my adults. After getting in a couple new adults recently, I temporarily decided to put 2 large adult females (these are yellowtails, FYI) together in one of the large cages until I found time to build a new cage. These snakes are very similar in size I have been separating them to feed. (one stays in the cage and the other gets put into a clean trash can to feed). They have been doing just fine, and neither has ever shown any aggression toward the other…honestly they don’t even seem to notice the other is there.

:Now…considering the SPACE requirements of these large cages, this situation couldn’t help but start the wheels turning just a bit here.

:I’m starting to think. MAYBE…if they are:

:- Adult snakes that are VERY close to the same size
:- Both females
:- Good feeders and not too prone to nerves

:…That they may be ok to house 2 snakes together long term if the cage is very spacious.

:I could certainly maintain a larger group of females in less space this way while still providing a lot of room for the snakes. They really don’t seem to mind one another. I just hope I’m not asking for trouble one day if one decides it’s very hungry.

:FYI…I’d NEVER consider or recommend even TRYING TEMPORARILY housing multiple males, mixed sexes (except during breeding), or snakes if dissimilar size…you are just asking for big trouble there. I would never try it with juvies either just because they are so nervous…

:Is anyone else doing this?
:Thoughts everyone ??
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]