kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Flagyl dose

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 25, 2003 at 14:30:39:

In Reply to: Flagyl dose posted by gila7150 on April 25, 2003 at 06:09:25:

Lower doses, 20-40mg/kg are effective against anaerobic infections, but will likely result in immunity to the drug in protozoan infections where 60-160mg/kg are indicated.Some people use Flagyl in doses of 20-40mg/kg as an appetite stimulant in reptiles. I'm not sure how effective that is, nor am I sure that's really a good idea. Metronidazole (Flagyl) is a prodrug, that is it has to be activated to start working. Part of the activation involves the exchange of electrons. It is this action that makes it effective on bacterium. It works by destroying the DNA in the bacteria, then ceasing the synthesis of DNA in the bacteria, thus eliminating the ability of the bacteria to replicate itself. For this reason, it should not be given to gravid snakes. Theoretically, at least, mutations could occur in the offspring.

Doses of possibly lethal toxicity levels in reptiles have been stated to be at about 400mg/kg for most species for a single dose. There may certainly be some species that are more sensitive, especially at higher doses, but I would think that those would be species with slower metabolic rates or individuals with impaired gastrointestinal absorbtion abilities. It has a relatively short half-life in blood and is metabolized in the liver fairly quickly, with some of the dose being excreted in feces and some in urine. It will very quickly be present in every tissue in the body after being administered. The slower the metabolism rate and/or gastrointestinal absorbtion rate, the longer large concentrations are present, therefore the more likelihood of toxic effects.

There is some evidence that Flagyl in combination with alcohol may be toxic. Care should be taken not to combine it with any other medications that are suspended in alcohol.

To me, it's a better idea to use a higher doseage (100mg/kg) and make sure to kill the offending bacteria effectively in a shorter time, given the possibility of liver damage in extended treatments and the possibility of immunity in doses that are too small to be effective.

: Panacur is a relatively safe anti-parasiticidal so I agree that higher doses (100mg/kg) are probably pretty safe.
: I'm not sure I would use that high of a Flagyl dose though (especially if we are talking about Drymarchon). Most of the literature on Flagyl also recommends a dose of 25-50mg/kg.
: "Understanding Reptile Parasites" by Dr. Klingenberg recommends that dose and cites Dr. Funk in specifically saying:
:"Do not exceed 40mg/kg in tricolor snakes, indigos or Uracpam rattlers."

:I'm not saying 100mg/kg of Flagyl would kill your indigo...it probably wont. But why take the risk when a much lower dose will accomplish the same results?
: Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]