kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Non-indigo owner, curious

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on April 14, 2003 at 08:30:04:

In Reply to: Non-indigo owner, curious posted by tigress on April 13, 2003 at 13:23:37:

I keep a variety of herps at home plus the many that are kept at my wildlife center (including venomous)...and, if I had to pick just one, I would stick with my eastern indigos. Being a symbol of our vanishing natural heritage, we should take great pride in this animal since it truly is one of the most beautiful, impressive and spectacular snakes in the world. It is a coveted snake by most reptile lovers and the thought of knowing that an 8' jet black, powerfully predatory serpent that can take down robust crotalids which lives right here in the U.S. is something that really strkes me as being impressive. Having the opportunity to keep and breed these snakes is a privilege that I take very seriously. Their large scalation and striking irridescence accompanied with their natural behavior of covering large tracts of land in search of mates and many types of prey (and efficiently overpowering them with jaws that are almost pit bull like) is quite fascinating. And, last, knowing that these snakes are struggling to survive due to human encroachment, I feel, in a very small way, partly responsible for this demise and feel that it is all of our responsibilities to help save this species through captive breeding, research, conservation, purchasing land and sound land management of these areas. Our wildlife center is supporting Natalie's work being done through the U. or Georgia and when you see some of the pictures of these wild indigos, it truly gets the heart pumping knowing that such a large but gentle snake can still survive. You don't often see wild snakes that are immediately at ease in the presence of humans (yet "we" have no problem running them over with our cars). That's just scratching the surface as to why I personally like eastern indigos over all other herps. My close seconds: gila monsters, eastern massasaugas, timber rattlesnakes, burms and crocodile monitors!....oh yeah, and the raptors that I work closely with.

:This should be a fun question for you indigo owners :).

:I'm just curious, besides being beautiful snakes, what makes your indigos more enjoyable than other snakes (I'm getting the impression that at least most people on here indigos are their favorite)?

:I'll probably never have the luck of having one but just curious what they are like :).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]