kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Phil, I won't even have to quaranteen....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by bobl on March 19, 2003 at 07:56:06:

In Reply to: Phil, I won't even have to quaranteen.... posted by Doug T on March 19, 2003 at 00:39:32:

:that Yellowtail trio I'm getting from you. Judging from what you put your animals through to introduce them to your own collection, those little ones I'm getting from you are likely to get sick being introduced to MINE. In fact, can we just consider Yeti avoidance weeks as part of the quaranteen? That'll save a lot of effort on my part.

:I'm becoming more and more convinced that the big chunk of change spent on a trio of YellowTails was more of a bargain than I thought.

:As for my own thoughts on introducing a new animal(s) to my collection... I recently had my Diamond Pythons die from Bacterial Septecemia. Dr Maas concluded from the necropsy report that the Diamonds could quite likely have been sick from the day I got them (Nov, 2001) and simply succomed this year when brought out of hibernation. They had no outward signs or symptoms of being sick. I even occasionally looked at their feces in my microscope for bugs (never saw anything obvious). Now the 2 perfectly healthy looking animals are dead.

:So my current policy is put first priority in buying from a good source (like Dr Phil). If you get the animals from a less than perfect source but the animals look and act healthy and have no obvious problems, then I treat them as healthy animals.

:I don't buy any wc animals, as far as I know. I know I'm not willing to go through all the appropriate steps to make sure they are healthy. I'd rather pay the extra $ for good CB animals. Call me lazy, but don't call me cheap...

:Doug T

I wouldn't say buying W.C. animals is being cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
First off, they aren't cheap to buy and it costs a fair amount of money to get them acclimated and fully treated for "bugs" not too mention the time invested to get them that way.
I have several W.C. YT's and have spent $200 to $300 each shipping not included, not cheap and I am waiting for my trio from Phil and also snakes from Dean and Dan.
W.C. and or C.B., either way it's not cheap!

Bobby

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]