kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

This is a Drymarchon, and....(a long story...or 2)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by lynex17 on March 03, 2003 at 13:45:43:

well basically,
i got "tagged" if you can call it that. i'll just get into the story....
well, i had a friend on his way over for the first time to my apt. so of course i'm running round cleaning and what not and of course my blacktail ALWAYS(!!!!!)needs cleaned out. Right now, he's in a sweater box. i've got two so i can clean one out while he's in the other. so i got the clean one set up, and then i pulled him out and decided to admire him for about a minute. i was just watching him slither from arm to arm as he tried to get away from me. so i turn my attention back to finishing his sweater box and he bit my arm. it didn't reall hurt much, the pinch of it hurt more than the teeth. i didn't pull him off as i've heard this can damage the teeth so i just kinda stood there watching him chew on my arm for 2 seconds. then when he was done i put him back in his sweater box. I always thought that if he did bite me it would hurt worse than it did (BTW he's about 4-4.5ft.) can their bites be more serious??

story two---one of the two aforementioned sweaterboxes has a whole in it about 2 inches round. (a rock fell on it while i was cleaning it...) i have been using it like this for probly the last 2 months i'd say. i just taped over it (some handy-dandy scotch tape) and kept using it. well, the morning after my last story. i was lying in bed still when heard some foil rustling. (i've got my 01 jungle carpet in an aquarium and the foil over about 90% of the screen keeps humidity a little higher). i look over and he is on top of my python cage. it took me a second to assess the situation and i jumped up and went over there. he watched me come over to him and let me pick him up without trying to get away at all. i walked over to his sweater box thinking maybe i pushed it in too far into the rack and he got out the back, but then i saw the whole. crazy...
i'm guessing he was over there trying to get into the python cage because he smelled the rat that had been sitting in there for 2 days (did you read my other post yet about the [not a Drymachon but...]). i wonder how long he was out slithering around my apt?
Travis

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]