kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please tell, how's thier tempers? and also...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by dan felice on February 28, 2003 at 04:39:43:

In Reply to: Please tell, how's thier tempers? and also... posted by Nokturnel Tom on February 26, 2003 at 21:53:13:

:Do they need very large enclosures? I drool over the ones at the San Antonio Zoo every time I visit and think they're impressive looking snakes. My collection is up to 25 various colubrids and I am running out of room and just can't see myself getting too many more animals in the future[yeah right!]I had my eye on these snakes for a while but people have told me they're mean and hard to handle, and not the easiest snake to work with as far as breeding. I almost bought one recently but seeing how the ones in the zoo were almost always climbing about thier enormous enclosures I figured it was not the right time for me to own one. I could see how an 8 ft snake would be annoyed in a 3 ft enclosure. Maybe someday I will go for it, but not til I have the room. My Pines are hard enough to find room for! Any info is appreciated, please list some pros and cons of this species. Thanks Tom

tom, you're right in that they would resent being put in a 3' box. they are arboreal and appreciate a vertical tank suited to climbing complete w/ both horizontal and vertical perches. mine are wc ltc's that have calmed down alot over the years and understand now that i do sometimes enter the cage w/out having a fit and that sometimes there's something in my hand that they may want. the largest [and oldest] one comes 'uncomfortably' close to my face when i open up to see what's going on. i take that close-up as a sign of trust on her part and she has never bitten me. overall i'd say that they have dropped their guard except in one area.....no touching! that unsettles them. but as a display animal though they are hard to beat!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]