kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some great ideas have been proposed....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on February 05, 2003 at 07:51:23:

In Reply to: time to put our $$ where our mouth is(all Dry breeders read) posted by DeanAlessandrini on February 04, 2003 at 15:38:34:

There have been some excellent names for this group. Due to the uniqueness of this endeavor, which may pave the way for providing a model for other conservation efforts, I think it is important to stress the following:
1) Indigos (keep it broad rather than having it spefically for easterns - even though that is my primary interest - I imagine that in time, others like the Texas Indigo will be following suit along with various cribos, etc.)
2) Conservation - this is the critically important piece of the puzzle for without sound land management of good habitat, the future of the eastern indigo is in perile. The proceeds that are generated from our efforts should go right back into protectingm acquiring, and managing habitat.
3) Breeder's Alliance - this shows that there is a group of individuals who are dedicated towards not only captively reproducing indigos but that this group shares a strong interest and common vision in supporting this effort (via the donation of a portion of the proceeds from selling cb young).

Several excellent ideas have already been proposed and if I get a sudden attack of creativity, I will forward some ideas on to the rest of the folks here.

This is an exciting venture!

:So…it’s time for us to put our money where our mouths is!
:I will be (very soon) introducing my first nomination to receive the donations from snakes sales as many of you so kindly and unselfishly agreed to.

:The person I will be introducing is heading up the GA indigo study, and is on a shoestring budget. We have a REAL chance to help wild indigos here folks.

:So…I want input on what to name this group. OUR group. The group that anyone who cares will want to buy their baby Dry’s from because we are the ones giving back.

:I envision this "logo" by our name each time we offer a baby for sale…guaranteeing the buyer that 10% (I think that’s the # we agreed on) of the sale will go toward recovery efforts / conservation of habitat etc.

:We need (in my opinion) to assure that the recipient would be willing to send a letter EACH TIME a donation is made to the end user (buyer of the snake) thanking them for the donation. This way, we can weed out the breeder who would be tempted to say they are part of our group…but not actually contribute.

:Anyway…we need a name, right?
:Vote on this?

:I’ll start off with one idea here, and I’d like everyone to think of a suggestion or 2.

:Here’s mine:

:The BGB association (Breeders giving back)

:PS...Since I started the wheels turning on this, I'm kind of taking the reins, but I want input from everyone as to how to make this thing work...who to contribute to (I'm working on more ideas), how much, how to promote it...etc etc.

:let' rock...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]