kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: my thoughts...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by lynex17 on February 03, 2003 at 21:40:00:

In Reply to: my thoughts... posted by DeanAlessandrini on February 03, 2003 at 11:58:16:

i checked him a few hours after my post, and all seems ok. his vent was closed, and there was somemore waste on the substrate. i think he just wasn't done. thanks for the preventative info...

::This is not entirely uncommon in boids...especially carpets and tree boas / pythons, b/c they eat relatively large meals and very inactive.

:Some of the more well known breeders of these species recommend injecting the f/t rodent with water before feeding...as the excess water tends to loosen the stool and make "backups" less likely.

:That said as preventative...for now, I'd say there are several things you should try:

:1- A nice long bath in 80-85 deg water may help loosen up the stool that's probably compacted in there and cause a bowel movement
:2- you can try a small (like 2 tsp) dose of mineral oil through a tube to gently stimulate defacation.
:3- If all else fails, you can actually try an enema...although you may want to talk to a qualified reptile vet to reccomend how to do this.

:When you soak the snake...gentle massage can help loosen the stool as well...sometimes after the bath you can even gently squeeze out some of the feces like a tube of toothpaste!

:my thoughts....
:good luck.

:Dean Alessandrini

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]