kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I have to completely disagree with you on this...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Doug T on January 26, 2003 at 16:11:35:

In Reply to: Re: Eastern Indigo Blue for 2 weeks posted by GregH on January 26, 2003 at 13:21:37:

Peat moss is quite acidic and slows bacterial and fungal growth. Just ask those 1000 year old mummies they find in Scottish Peat bogs that are so intact the colors of the clothes they wear are still visible.

My experience with peat moss in my indigo hide boxes has been nothing short of a fabulous experience. Perhaps I've got miracle peat moss in my hides, but it NEVER goes bad. If there are urates in the peat, dump it and get new peat. It's cheap and it's not any different than the rest of your substrate in that sense. I can't remember a single time that my indigos passes feces or urates in their hides anyway.

Damp peat moss in the hide box is my cure for retained eye caps. The only times I've had an indigo retain an eyecap is when I have let the peat moss dry out.

My indigos also NEVER soak in their water dishes unless they are too warm. With my Dry's, soaking is a clue that something is wrong. So I wouldn't suggest to a new drymarchon keeper to expect his/her new drymarchon to soak if it's dehydrated. It's more likely that the first clue you get to dehydration is the retained eye cap.

So Greg, Keep the hide with the peat moss, don't let the peat get "wet", but just damp enough that it clumps up when you squeeze it and so it smells moist (You'll know). It isn't the only way to keep things working right with your dry's, but I believe it's the easiest.

Doug T

::
::You're welcome.It is my experience that most snakes will lay in their waterbowl if they are either too dry to shed or too hot.It's important to have a sufficient amount of clean water at all times.Usually if I want more moisture in the cage,I'll place a larger water supply close to the heat source.At any rate,I still advise against moss.How do you know it's not wet from urates?Moss also encourages the growth of mildew and fungus in a very short period of time.If you are adamant about using moss,you should change it every day.Take care,
:: Chris
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]