kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Big Yellow-tail

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by bobl on January 17, 2003 at 19:58:20:

In Reply to: Big Yellow-tail posted by tvandeventer on January 17, 2003 at 13:55:06:

:
:I do have shots of the 9'1" Yellow-tail but they are Fuji 35mm transparencies. Bill Lamar and I were co-guiding a Greentracks expedition in Peru about four years ago. On a jungle trail at about 3:00 pm, a snake shot out at full speed behind me and in front of an older woman from Louisiana. As the snake crossed the trail between us, she screamed "copperhead!" As I turned I saw a three foot long boa constrictor that was moving like I've never seen a boa move. I grabbed it and sure enough, this woman knew what a copperhead looked like. It was fawn with dark hour-glass shaped crossbands...

:A second later there was a huge disturbance off to the side of the trail. Everybody joked later that the waving ferns and crashing about was reminescent of a scene from Jurassic Park! Bill took off in pursuit while I crashed around to head it off. Suddenly this fist-sized yellow head appeared right in front of my face. I grabbed but couldn't get a good hold because Bill was nine feet away on the ground, holding on to the tail.

:It was a killer and smelled the place up, but later was perfectly tame. We measured him three times with fishing line and seven pairs of hands. All three times the result was nine feet, one inch long. I still wonder if that little boa wasn't running for his life when we found him!

:This was the biggest colubrid snake I have ever been in on capturing. I have collected Spilotes and Chironius that were longer but never so overall massive. TV

What was the coloration on that 9 footer and did you happen to get a weight on it?
What season was it when you found it?

Bobby

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]