kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thanks chris and terry.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by dan felice on January 16, 2003 at 13:31:24:

In Reply to: Re: Colombian gray cribos posted by gila7150 on January 16, 2003 at 09:42:13:

:Dan,
: Check out the 4th picture down on this link. I did a search when Terry mentioned Pseustes. I'd never seen one of these guys before but it sure looks like a pea green spilotes to me.
:Terry,
: Would you happen to have any old pics lying around of those gray colored BT's?
: Chris
:::
:::no, i've never seen any animals like the ones you've described. only variations of the old gold to greenish as is usually seen. flecking optional....by my count, that's the 3rd different sub that's been mentioned here this year. 8 subs are currently recognized but i figure there are at least 8 [?] more down there that only the locals know about....however, in the same vein, i recently saw these really odd loking spilotes at a show not too long ago. they were solid pea soup green in color. nothing else, not one iota of black [or yellow] anywhere. i think it was regal reptiles who had them but when asked, didn't have any background on them. actually, they weren't particularly attractive [the snakes] but i'd love to see some of these cribos you mentioned terry. maybe we could send dryguy. he knows his way around down there. probably come back w/ a south american mud snake or two while he's at it. ;-]

::
::Dan,

::These were not a new or different subspecies. Just regional color variations of what we now call the Black-tail Cribo, Drymarchon corais melanurus. Back then, all melanurus were called "Gray Cribos" by the importers, no matter what color they were.

::The Spilotes you described sound more like Pseustes to me. Adults are very large and are solid pea-green with no clear markings, large scales, and they inflate the throat just like a spilotes. I have seen solid yellow adult Spilotes with black eyes. These came out of Colombia as well (looked like West African Green Mambas!) by way of Mike Tsalikis and Trudie Jerkins of the Tarpon Zoo Importers in Tarpon Springs, Florida. ...40 years ago. Cheers, Terry

:
:

that's kinda what these things regal had looked like.....only they were even uglier.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]