kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Behavior

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by ig_daddy on May 09, 2003 at 10:21:24:

In Reply to: Behavior posted by fdlchurch on May 09, 2003 at 00:08:30:

:Ok, I have heard a lot of folks say that the little ones are hard to handle and will always try to get away.

Our Iggi never tried to run aways from us. We bought her at about 6 months old. Whenever we would put our arms in the enclosure, she would jump on them abd crawl up our arm.

My little guy doesn't try to get away when I pick him up and when I hold him he closes both his eyes and seems to go to sleep.

This may be his way of tuning you out, if he gets too stressed. Check the other eye to see if its open. Sometimes they will just close the eye nearest you.

In the beginning he used to try to get away from me but now he seems ok. He has been eating ok and moves around a bit, but he is mostly lazy and hangs around in his basking area. Is he sick?

Nope, sounds pretty normal to me.

Is that why he doesn't put up a fight?

You're one of the lucky owners who have a sweet natured baby ig. Just hold him lots, and carry him around on you (So he associates your smell and voice with security). As he grows up riding around on you, you'll find that you don't have to "hold" him, as dicussed in the Kaplan, and Hatfeild books. Your ig will simply sit or lay on you however feels the most comfortable.

The only time he seems to freak out is when he spots the dog. Oh and he tried to bite my husbands nose off the other night! Now that was funny! hee, hee!

We always tried to let Iggi know that that behavior was bad, by tapping her nose, and saying "bad lizard!". We don't let threatening behavior intimidate us.

Lamar, Debbie, Nathaniel and Iggi :>~

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]