kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Oh my...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by Mark_and_Aimee on April 29, 2003 at 19:40:36:

In Reply to: No, you cant! posted by Nut on April 29, 2003 at 11:45:53:

If it is sitting on a tree in your room, and hasn't moved, it's not healthy.

What do you have for a heat source? Anything at all?? I'm sure you know Iguanas need to be kept around 80 degrees with a basking spot of 90 degrees or more, right?

How about UVB? Do you have a flourescent UVB light or maybe a mercury vapor bulb?? You DO know this is essential to an iguana's health, right?

Are you feeding it? As you probably know (since you researched this animal before buying it), Iguanas need a highly specialized diet consisting of leafy greens that are high in calcium, fruits and vegetables.

Now... seriously - If it is just sitting there, it is either too weak to move, too scared to move, or too cold to move. If it looks really fat, it is probably bloated. Starved iguanas will have skinny/flimsy limbs, and a huge stomach. This does not make them healthy. Can you see it's hips? You shouldn't be able to. The base of it's tail should be nice and fat.

It would be best to get rid of the 10 gal aquarium now, and build an appropriate cage right away. It will grow fast if it lives more than a week... And if you care for it properly.

If you can't provide the appropriate environment for the animal, give it to someone who can. Don't torture it any more than you already have.

If you are serious about taking care of it properly, get a copy of James Hatfield's Ultimate Green Iguana Manual. Read it cover to cover... There are also many good internet resources for iguana care. If you found this forum, I'm sure you can find Melissa Kaplan's web site.

Mark

:O yea yea tame i got this lil dude in my room on this shelf with a lil tree on it lil guy didn't move no where so damn tame don't even sqirm and is a lil fatty :D i gotta take some pictures soon i'm just scared no that i'll hurt him/her some how cuz i'm big (not fat) :) and he/she's so tiny.........
:and does any one know how fast this things grow because i got him/her in a 10 gallon tank and i need to see how fast they grow Thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]