kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

we always talk about incorrect care but......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by bexley on April 22, 2003 at 08:16:19:

In Reply to: we always talk about incorrect care but...... posted by rjward97 on April 22, 2003 at 02:49:16:

Don't suppose you live in southern Ontario, in the Toronto area do you? :P

I think it sounds like a great idea. Its very easy to attack, but all that does is put people on the defensive and in a position to be self riteous, and nothing changes.

:Now I notice all us ig keepers constantly go on about Green Iguanas getting improper care. We make posts about it, care sheets, websites and books. In doing those we are trying to teach ig owners how to correctly care for their pets... and we constantly curse the fools who know what they should be doing and do the exact opposite...

:I have been doing a lot of thinking on this subject for many years now.. trying to figure out what 'I' could do to help.. I cannot run a rescue since I live in a tiny apartment. What good would one more website on green iguanas do when there are already so many great ones? What more could be said in a book that wasn't said by Kaplan and Hatfeild?

:We gossip about new products geared towards our scaley friends. They are either trash or revolutionary. And of course everyone has a different opinion on each one. There are good products for heat and uvb, but there are not really any good foods(in pet stores not super markets..). Many people only think pet food comes from pet stores.. and you guys know that too....there are the ignorant parents of kids who own igs and well others too.. But anyhow so far all that is available to them is crap. I mean read those labels... who decided what goes in those? Do a bunch of people get together around a table and say 'Ok what is a plant and cheap that we can put in here?'... and there is still animal products or animal by-products going in them too... It really sickens me.

:Now we know how humans live by convenience(sp?). Some people just don't have time.. but then maybe they should not own an ig. Others just don't like the hassle, and again maybe they should reconsider owning an Iguana. But there are days I wish I could just reach in the fridge and pull out a package of fresh pre-cut food for Spike... I am sure we all have those days..

:Has anyone here tried talking to the makers of these cruddy food products and told them what they are doing wrong? Ever offered any suggestions directly to them? Or figured it wouldn't matter? Well it probably wouldn't.. Has anyone thought of selling their own foods, at least to a local pet/feed store? Just curious what had become of it if anyone has.

:I have a pretty big garden(35'x35'-packed) that I and a friend do every year. I also have many spots in my backyard that I plant greens and veggies. I was thinking of trying to have my local feed store try selling some fresh ready to feed ig food... I could care less about profit... it wouldn't really cost me much anyways since I always have extras anyway. And some other family members have lots of fruit trees with lots of excess crops.

:Well I don't know if it would be a big help.. but it is something I could do here in my community... well what do you think?

:What I am thinking is using 32 oz deli cups.. that's what 4 cups? Here is what I would put in it. 1 3/4 cups greens, 1 1/2 cups veggies, 1/2 cup fruit and 1/4 cup flowers and other.
:Those groups would consist of, whatever I was harvesting at the time(In no particular order):
:Greens:
:Collards, Mustard, Turnip tops, Carrot tops, Cress, Oregano, Cilantro, Basil, Mint, Nasturtium leaves, Dandelion, Hibiscus leaves, Mulberry leaves
:Veggies:
:Acorn squash, Butternut squash, Spaghetti squash, Buttercup squash, Delicata squash, Green beans, Wax beans, Peas, Parsnips, Yams/sweet potatoes, Avacado, Garlic, Onion, Bell Peppers, carrots, Pumpkin, Zucchini, Yellow summer squash
:Fruit:
:Strawberries, Cantalope, Watermelon, Figs, Honeydew, Apricot, Mango, Papaya, Kiwi, Raspberries, Peaches, Plum, Grapes, Cherries, Blueberries, Apple, Pear, Banana, Blackberries
:Flowers:
:Squash flowers, Nasturtium, Rose, Calendula, Hibiscus, Impatiens, Allysum.. others?
:Other:
:Alfalfa pellets

:well thank you for listening to me ramble on and on... :)
:your thoughts on this subject would be great.

:Roxanne
:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]