kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Iggi, the "zero" iguana

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by ig_daddy on April 16, 2003 at 10:55:11:

In Reply to: Re: In my VHO, iglets like to be handled posted by Mark_And_Aimee on April 16, 2003 at 01:07:52:

:I'll always strongly disagree with anyone who tells me they have a tame iguana...
In James Hatfield's book, he descibes a scale of "wildness" of 1-50, where 50 is a biting, tail whipping green monster. Our Iggi is a zero on this scale! We have raised her like a child, carrying her on one of us all day. She only went into the enclosure to poop, or to sleep. At about 7 months old, we bought her a floor-to-ceiling cat tree. She slept in that on a heating pad, and we got rid of the enclosure. She has been a free roamer ever since. A lot of people have posted about kissing their iguanas, but have any of you had their iguana kiss you back? Iggi knows that when we kiss her, we make a smaking sound. Since she doesn't have any lips, she "kisses" us by sticking her tongue out and licking us, while simultaneously pulling her tongue off the roof of her mouth. This makes a smaking sound to go along with the lick. She NEVER does this when just sticking her tongue out to smell/taste somthing. In James Hatfield's book, he says that a tame iguana will never deliberatly hurt you. Iggi will AVOID hurting us! When I am wearing pants, Iggi will climb up my pants and shirt, to sit on my shoulder. If I am wearing shorts, Iggi knows my skin is a lot thinner than hers, so she will leap up and catch hold of my shorts, to pull herself up without scatching my legs. She has never bit us, or tail whipped us, even when she was an iglet. It takes a lot of time and effort to raise an iguana like this, but in the end you will have a tame iguana.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]