kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good question! Long rant...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by Scott Wright on December 19, 2002 at 13:51:41:

In Reply to: hybridizers and sales? posted by Shaky on December 19, 2002 at 09:40:49:

The first thing is to do everything you can to try to make sure you don't make ugly hybrids!

Look at what other people have done, and if a certain cross never worked for other people it might not work for you. Also, the better looking adults you breed will be much more likely to have nice looking hybrids. If someone has two ugly lonely snakes and decides to breed them, I guarantee a clutch of baby ugly lonely snakes! There needs to be a well-thought-out plan, not a spur-of-the-moment whim.

I've never had trouble selling my hybrids, even though there have obviously been some that looked better than others. Generally there will be one or two in any clutch that are not as remarkable as the others. There are a few ways of selling them, incuding offering them at an attractive price. Here is what has worked for me:

When selling these, I always include pics of the parents and the best babies in the clutch. This shows the bloodlines that they carry. It helps if the baby is a female. If it's a male, someone may be buying a pair or a trio. I'll offer them a great (half-price or so) deal on a sibling male that carries the blood but didn't turn out as stunning. An extra male can come in handy in case something happens to the best one. Just like the best morph breeders, always keep an extra het male around. Always have a back-up!

The other point is to always be as honest as possible! I never sell hybrids to pet shops because I know they will call it whatever they think will sell best. People deserve to know the genetics of animals they buy. Nobody can guarantee that an animal is 100% pure, even if it's wild-caught! But we, especially as hybrid breeders, need to inform the buyer as well as we can about each animal we sell.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]