kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

filial

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by Chris_Harper2 on December 13, 2002 at 11:52:58:

In Reply to: Confused by the F's... posted by Chrome on December 12, 2002 at 20:19:01:

::If I were to breed a Pueblan to a Corn, the offspring produced ::would be F1 being the first generation, right?

They would be F1 "hybrids", yes.

::And now, if I bred two of the Pueblan/Corns together, these ::would be F2, correct?

If by "these" you mean the offspring of this mating, then yes.

::Ok, now if I bred one of these F2 Pueblan/Corns to a CalKing, ::would these now be F1 Pueblan/Corn//CalKing, or would they be ::F3?

The resultant offspring would be F1's in a hybrid sense but this gets a bit tricky depending on how you define hybrid. But for simplicity, yes.

::I suppose my question would be: Do the F-generations only ::follow inbreeding???

Not necessarily, but this is how the terminology is most often used. At least historically.

::And does it work the same for hybrids and pure breeds???

Yes.

Furthermore, understand that a group of animals can be called F1's in one context and F3's in another.

Let's stick with your example for now but assume that both the Cornsnake and the Pueblan Milksnake were wild-caught animals.

If they bred in captivity the "hybrid" offspring would be F1 "hybrids" but would also be F1 captive born babies.

If the hybrids then bred together the resultant offspring would be F2 hybrids and F2 captive born snakes.

But then if one of the F2 hybrids bred to a captive born California Kingsnake that was an F2 captive born animal, the resultant offspring would be F1 "hybrids" but also might be considered F3 captive born animals.

So all the full brothers and sisters from this mating would be F1's in one context and F3's in another.

I've oversimplified this a bit, but I think it answers your question(s).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]