kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

don't forget mine, after all, I just BREED the things myself

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by Fred Albury on November 29, 2002 at 23:41:58:

In Reply to: open to opinions, great then here's mine. posted by DeanAlessandrini on November 29, 2002 at 19:51:39:

:deep breath Dean...
:ok...

:Taking a federally listed threatened species and crossing it with ANYTHING is a bad idea. I'd really hate to take the chance of contaminating the genetics of these animals.

:Although you may personally be trustworthy,who is to say that a white snake that looks like an indigo won't be sold as a white indigos.

:cross your rats, corns and kings, but, please, for the love of all things sacred, please...leave the indigos out of it.

:PS...your rat snake is likely to end up shredded like aspen bedding!

:my 2 cents...bring it on pro-hybrid folks. I'm ready.
:KUMITE!
:

Eastern IndigoX Leucistic Ratsnake cross

Lets see..............

The *FIRST* thing that comes to mind is the high incidence of ophiopagus activity with drymarchon, basically, THEY EAT OTHER SNAKES. Given this dietary preference, putting a snake, leucistic texas ratsnake or not in a cage with an adult male Eastern Indigo would be like ringing a dinner bell. Unless Easterns are in full breeding mode, they will ALWAYS accept food items, snakes included.

The *SECOND* thing that comes to mind is what Dean eluded to, namely how ROUGH eastern males can be. Most female easterns so some physical scarring from their bout with breeding males, from mild to severe. RATSNAKES dont stand a chance.

The *THIRD* thing that come to mind is just this:Ever been to a reptile show? You see TONS of leucistic texas ratsnakes, *DIRT CHEAP*, why , in Gods name would you want to take something so common as to almost be a "disposable" snake and TRY to cross it with a snake that is:

a) Federally protected as threatened
b) *Rare* in captive collections
c) Hard to breed and get good eggs from, even for EXPERIENCED INDIGO BREEDERS(And haveing bred other colubrids doesnt qualify one as well versed in snake breeding when it comes to Indigos)
d) Very messy with a fast metabolism
e) argueably the most beautiful native serpent this country produces

So, you can clearly see, that this is a bad idea. for logical as well as moral ones.What you do wont affect MY eastern Indigo colony 1 iota, it is closed, but it could send a message to others to try the same thing. Heres an idea, why not cross the leucistic with a black sulawesi ratsnake, those things are simply awesome. well thats all for now.

Fred
AZTEC REPTILES

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]