kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

the rare red horned lizard!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by gigaber on May 06, 2003 at 18:20:25:

In Reply to: Purely solitary? posted by blackkat on May 06, 2003 at 12:46:15:

::Maybe it was an incredible coincidence, but on that hike we had three sightings where there were more than one traveling together. Once it was a large adult and two smaller HLs (size of a quarter), and the other two times it was two of the smaller HLs running together. Is there any posibility that they are only quasi-solitary? I'm no expert (as you can probably tell from this dialog), but I do have some documented evidence of these groups (well, one picture). Once the photos are developed, I'll post them.

::From all of the pictures I've seen posted on the web, the one I have resembles the phrynosoma platyrhinos the most. Thanks for the correction and help on ID, blackkat. I'll try to get a good picture but I don't have a macro setting on my cheapo digital camera.

::Also: One of the quarter sized HLs that I spotted was a deep red color (as all the rest were light sand color). On the off-chance that it was rare or endangered, I didn't touch it and it burrowed before I could get a picture. Do some of the Desert Horned Lizards turn out red? Or is color a poor indicator of species?

::Chris

::
::

:Hey Chris,

:Ohmigod!!! The rare red horned lizard!!! Just kidding.

:Probably the HL's were just hanging out in the same spot because of good/favorable conditions. They are solitary animals, although they do interact when they meet. Whatever the cause for the groupings you saw, they were almost certainly not "families", i.e., related individuals who prefer each other's company. I've often seen several gather in one place, especially around a good feeding area, but it's the food that draws them, not the company.

:Your's could be P. platyrhinos, although the location is a bit far to the east for them. Also, like P. solare, they tend to stick to the lower, flatter habitats. And they have longer horns on the backs of their heads, so they also are less likely to resemble P. taurus. Given your initial information, I'd still bet on P. hernandesi.

:As in many reptiles and birds, color isn't the best identification feature, as it can vary greatly and sometimes isn't well or acurately represented in pictures (especially photos, which is one reason why most bird field guides use drawings instead). Different idividuals will have different colors and shades of color, and each individual has the ability to vary its own color and pattern to some degree. The definitive way to ID them is to use morphology: horn pattern, scale counts and pattern, etc. In particular, note whether there is a wide, pronounced notch at the back of the head between the horns, so that the horns do have an arrangement something like that of a bull, making the head look very triangular and V-shaped from above; or if the horns are closer together in back, arranged like a crown or like the horns of an antelope (close together, long and pointy, and pointing almost straight back). P. hernandesi has the first arrangement of horns, P. solare and P. platyrhinos have the second. Both P. hernandesi and P. platyrhinos can show degrees of both red and sandy brown/grey colors. A pic would definitely help though, especially ones from above and of the head.

:Either way, care is going to be the same, and they're both interesting and enjoyable animals.
:

Hey blackkat,

Thanks for all the info there. I took your suggestion and found some bite sized crickets for the HL. I dusted 'em and he (or she) gobbled 2 up. I've heard that ants have some acid that is necessary for their diet, but you would be surprised how hard it is to find fireants/harvesters around here. (I searched way out in the desert for about an hour and all I found was an abandoned and dehydrated Aus-Shepard Puppy which I took home - I wonder how much more of this my girlfriend is going to put up with...)

It's Tucson - you'd think ants would be inescapable. Maybe they're still in hybernation. But if I get really desparate, would you recommend mail order ants?

thanks,
Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]