kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Baby HL found in southern AZ

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by blackkat on May 05, 2003 at 20:58:12:

In Reply to: Baby HL found in southern AZ posted by gigaber on May 05, 2003 at 17:43:16:

:I can see why there aren't many species of HL on the endangered list in AZ. I was on a hike yesterday in the Catalinas and we must have seen 30 in 4 hours. Most were in family groups, an I found one little fellow who was separated from his family and adopted it.

:From the internet, its ID is "Bull Horned Lizard". If it is the size of a quarter, would that make it a hatchling? I've had excellent success raising a baby bearded dragon, and have now purchased a separate 10Gal tank for the HL, with sand for burrowing (which it did immediately), some wood chips similar to the Catalina Mt environment, and a high-end UVA/B bulb.

:To minimize stress to the animal, do you recommend that I cover most of the tank glass with paper. I'm not sure if it's better that it gets used to motion in the room, or shelter it from stress?... I'm trying to feed it microscopic small black ants, but no luck so far (I'm only on day one, though). Please advise!

:Thanks,
:Chris

Hi Chris,

Given your description of the HL and the location, I'd say it's likely Phrynosoma hernandezi, the Short-horned Lizard. It is one of the only two species with ranges that would include the Tucson area (the other being Phrynosoma solare, the Regal Horned Lizard). Of the two, P. solare is more likely to be at higher elevations, while P. solare tends to frequent valleys and foothills. Also, P. hernandezi has a deep hornless notch at the center of the back side of its head, which might cause it to resemble pictures of P. taurus (the Bull Horned Lizard) somewhat. P. solare has a full crown of prominent horns, especially at the rear of its head, so it would not likely be confused with P. taurus.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]