kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Conservation as a goal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Les4toads on April 16, 2003 at 10:50:59:

In Reply to: Conservation as a goal posted by critterwoman on April 15, 2003 at 21:37:28:

:I have read as far back as I can but I haven't found anyone who has kept there HL's in outdoor set up and of course ant feeding will be supplied by me. I have experience with Turtles outdoors with good out come. I live in the high plain area of southern Colorado and have seen these guys in the wild before. I would like to breed them and then set all offspring out in our resevoir area. Large areas with few roads no farming. Do you think this could disrupt current populations? I used to see them often but don't see them much anymore. Last time I saw one in wild was in KS summer before last.

:You have a good idea but you need to first check with your local Fish and Game office and make your proposal. You are facing several problems. The first problem is the possibility of transmitting bacterial or viral agents in to wild populations (a similar problem that has happened with the Desert Tortoise). The second problem is the population dynamics with existing populations may cause an avalanch effect and creat a decline for both the existing and implanted animals. There are numerous studies that have been done with repatriation and failure is about 90% or greater. Work out a plan and submit it to you local University and Fish and Game office. They may have some suggestions. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]