kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Key Factors for Captive Horned Lizard Survival

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by reptoman on April 03, 2003 at 17:16:15:

In Reply to: Key Factors for Captive Horned Lizard Survival posted by Jeff Judd on April 03, 2003 at 09:59:03:

:Please offer more advice and suggestions.

:Provide UV lighting.

:Have a seasonal photoperiod.

:Provide a temperature gradient of 105 F to room temperature. Night temps can fall from room temp to the 60s.

:Provide ants in the diet.

:Offer only appropiate sized food items.

:Only offer a few food items at a time.

:Only feed insects that have been kept in a clean environment to discourage disease.

:Make sure to remove scats daily to reduce bacteria build up.

:Offer water by dropping it on the nostril area with an eye dropper or lightly mist the horned lizards body. Depending on the species water availability varies seasonally but offering water twice a month will be adequate for most species.

:Keep humidity low except for slight substrate moisture during the time water is being offered. According to two highly specialized phrynosoma breeders the substrate should be kept very dry. I used to keep moisture in the substrate at all times but recently ran into skin fungus so now I keep the substrate dry.(I should have followed their advice)

:Do not overcrowd enclosures. Some individuals will become highly stressed if they don't have adequate space and will succumb to disease.

:Most wild caught individuals have been put through high levels of stress and don't adapt well to captivity.

With respect to watrer n the cage, I always use a corner of the cage with a small plant which I mist. My cage size is 2 x 3 or 2 x 4. The HL soon learns to go their, I also wet green leaf lettuce or bok choy, or dandilions and they munch these and get moistiure from it as well. As far as wild caught individuals, I think different species react differently, I have found the Pacifics to be the most able to adapt to captivity......some of the other species seem to "stress" and never get passed it.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]