kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Questions concerning horned lizards

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Jeff Judd on February 14, 2003 at 18:13:20:

In Reply to: Questions concerning horned lizards posted by beardeddragonman on February 13, 2003 at 12:14:33:

:I was wondering, can you actually buy them? I have never seen one for sale here in florida. If so how much and what are their requirements.
You must be willing to devote time and money(ants are exspensive if they can't be collected)Some people sell them but I would not recommend buying a wild caught individual. They are usually highly stressed, malnurished, and on the verge of death do to improper conditions. I think only captive bred animals should be bought for these reasons :
1. They haven't been collected from an undisturbed environment causing decline in good populations.
2. They were born into a captive environment so they are accustomed to human interaction and as a result they feed better, are not as stressed, healthier, and don't have parasites.
3.Promotes captive breeding to increase numbers of horned lizards making them available for everyone to enjoy.

Sun Dial Reptiles is one of the very few that captive breeds them in the U.S. and sadly now I think they may stop selling to the general public because of high demand. http://www.sundialreptile.com/breedingprojects.htm

I will be captive breeding a few species this year but it is limited to the legal species not found in California. Because of stupid laws here it is illegal for me to captive breed these three species platyrhinos, coronatum, and mcalli which is disturbing because among them are some of the rarest due to HABITAT DESTRUCTION.
I have LEGALLY obtained adults of some species from Arizona, Switzerland, and Germany and should have captive bred offspring this year. Some LEGALLY obtained specis I may have are solare, hernandezi, and taurus.
As far as information search this board,(some information is true), check out Montanucci 1989 Bulletin of the Chicago Herptilogical Society volume 24, number 12 and I am working on a book as well.
Jeff

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]