kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: UV Light and lizard coloration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by amylp on October 25, 2002 at 14:16:07:

In Reply to: Re: UV Light and lizard coloration posted by Les4toads on October 23, 2002 at 11:12:00:

Well, then we're in BUSINESS!

Les, thanks for the hibernation advice. I bought a timer and have started shortening the days. I am considering transfering him to a chilly garage for full hibernation if he stops coming out to eat.
I read that I am to do that in December? He's definitely going under the sand for longer and longer periods of time, and he looks healthy, rounder, and even BIGGER, to me. Also, he is not afraid of the ants anymore. I can feed him 2 in the AM so he gets a snack when he wakes up, and then I feed him 2-3 when I come home for lunch, and leave 1 or 2 in for him if he emerges before I turn off the lights. Usually, one is leftover from the day, and I drop in a teeny bit of apple that it gloms on to until the lizard pops up the next morning.

He eats 3-5 ants per day, defecates twice (packed with ant bodies, Hooray!)

So, I am guessing we are good? I hope it lasts. I am considering taking him back in Springtime. Good idea, or no? There is just no way to get him to Gabb's Valley, (Mineral County) NV until then, and it is SOOO cold there now.

Thanks for everyone's advice, you're all beautiful generous folks.

PS. I ordered 200 ants from Ants Alive, and 500 from Tukes. The 500 from Tukes came from Ants Alive, and they were smaller and darker than the original batch. Anyone have a clue as to why that could be? I thought it was surprising. And weird.

Ants are doing well too; they like romaine lettuce, apple cores, and damp paper towels as well as a fine spritz of water every day.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]