kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Examining Stools!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by billshorneys on September 18, 2002 at 15:55:07:

This question is for Lester or kumpfamily or who ever can reply to my question. I have been examining the stools of my horneys almost daily but haven't seen anything that looks like worms that may be Nematodes or tape worms. I find ant heads, bodies, legs, etc. On the outside of the dark red ant mass is a layer of hard grey material, it seems to hold everything together. When wet, it gets gelatinous. I am guessing this is the remains of the crickets since they get 1 to 2 crickets a day! Also a white opaque material on one end of the stool, I understand this is uric acid! My question is; How big are the worms, are they long and skinny, easy to see under a magnifying glass? What color are they? One of my lizards will eat all the time. Whenever food is placed before him. The other one only eats when he gets in the mood to. But when he does you better feed him all he wants while he is in the mood for them. Today he ate 85 Harvestor ants. Yesterday my other guy ate 92 ants. The bigger guy has gained weight in the last few weeks since I weighted him last. The smaller guy hasn't lost weight, but hasn't gained any either. I used a digital postal scales that only measures in .1 oz increments. I want to get a more accurate gram scales that measures in .1 gram increments, or less. It's amazing how thoroughly they digest the ants. Only dried out empty exoskeletons remain! Bill.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]