kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Signs your female is going to lay eggs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by kumpfamily on September 11, 2002 at 14:26:57:

In Reply to: Re: Signs your female is going to lay eggs? posted by Les4toads on September 11, 2002 at 11:44:14:

::Does the female have any "tell signs" that she is about to lay eggs?
::I have noticed my Bearded Dragon start to dig, wig is a dead give-a-way.
::I ask because I have a female that is about to pop, but I have not seen her acting any differently.
::I am afraid that one day I will just notice she is smaller, and will not have located the eggs in time.

::Also, do I need to provide her a different type of substrate? Currently she is on river wash sand, that I sifted by my house. It is about four inches deep.

::Thanks!

::As the female gets close to laying her eggs, she will "look" for places to dig a nest. She will test dig several areas until a suitable area is found. She may just lay her eggs on the surface, which happens quite often. There is no special substrate if you have the sands available. The moisture content is the biggest concern. It would be best, when she lays the eggs, to incubate them in vermiculite. If it is a Desert HL, temps of 82 to 87 degrees are required. Moisture content should be 15 to 20% by weight of vermiculite. Lester G. Milroy III
:

Great! Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]