kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: help?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by billshorneys on August 31, 2002 at 21:15:13:

In Reply to: Re: help? posted by Les4toads on August 19, 2002 at 10:06:14:

::I have recently rescued (or have tried to) a horned lizard from a local pet shop. I thought I knew what I was getting into but am having problems. I have been feeding him ants and he eats a few but his weight is dropping and I don't know what to do. He is in a desert set up with calicum sand base. I have tried to water him by hand with a dropper and he has a small water dish. He has UV lighting and a basking spot. I am really trying to do right by this great little guy but need help from people with more experience. The pet shop was a dead end for him. (same old story... they told the little boy who was looking at the horned lizard that he was easy to keep and just need a few small crickets a week. At least I knew he need ants and knew where to get them.) Please help me save this lizard. Thanks in advance.
::Tara

::Hello Tara. Dump the calcium sand and use sand from wash areas. Wash areas are those in alluvial areas and along stream flood plains. The rest of your set up sounds fine. What HL species is it? It could be either the Desert Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma platyrhinos (from Nevada), or the Roundtail Horned Lizard (from Texas), Phrynosoma modestum. The ID will aid in further defining the requirements. Also, how big is the HL? Snout-vent length and total length will aid in determining age. Temperatures will vary from high temp to low temp depending on the species, but at this point, day temps of 90 degrees and night temps of 65 are okay. Lester G. Milroy III

Lester,
Are you saying that by using calcium sand they are getting to much calcium? I am from Florida, we don't have wash sand down here. Only beach sand! Wash sand is mostly silica, glass. I have heard cons about it also. Some say it plugs up the digestive track of Horned Lizards. So what are we to do use newspaper to line our cages?
Bill.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]