kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HLs stopped eating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Les4toads on August 30, 2002 at 11:27:04:

In Reply to: Re: HLs stopped eating posted by insectiachick2 on August 29, 2002 at 23:47:18:

:::I have 3 P. platyrhinos they were about 30-40 ants each per day until a few weeks ago now they won’t touch them. They would eat crickets and waxworms until last week now they show no interest in any type of food. I have an UV light, heat lamp, which heats part of the tank to 100 F, and desert blend lizard litter for substrate. They spend the day sprawled out not wanting to move to much, but they are burring themselves at night.

:::First off, what is "desert blend lizard litter?" It is that time of the year when HLs begin preparation for late summer estivation and winter hibernation. What you are seeing is that preping, hopefully. I say hopefully because of the cricket and waxworms that are in the diet. How much and how oftem have the HLs been getting such items? Just snacks I hope? Lester G. Milroy III
::
:Desert Blend is ground up walnut shells. To answer how many crickets and waxworms they were more than a snack because they wouldn't eat any thing else. How long do they hibernate for? Is there anything special I should do for them while they are hibernating?

:The "desert blend lizard litter" needs to go. I say this because HLs get many micronutrients from the sand that they live in. HLs will ingest small grains of sand that aid in the digestive process, just like birds do. Your problem may be compounded by the excess of crickets and waxworms in their diets. These items are not a part of the diet in wild populations. Crickets may be found in wild population diets at less that 2%, but waxworms are not. The estivation period may last from July through October, depending on temperature. The hibernation cycle lasts typically from November through March. There may be brief activity cycles during this time but only for a few days depending on temperature and rain conditions. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]