kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Lester Milroy and the rest of the forum PLEASE READ **pics**

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by dingrao on August 02, 2002 at 08:32:43:

Hello all. It's been some time since I posted here, but I wanted to share my story. One day, I was in a local pet shop, and I saw a young Desert Horned Lizard for sale. And get this....they had it in the same tank.....WITH COLLARD LIZADS! I knew I had to get this poor baby before they sold it to a novice with incorrect care instructions, so I took him home. (they told me to feed it crickets, for God's sake) I knew about some things that Horny's need to be kept alive in captivity, such as enclosure temperatures, substrate and diet, but it was still my first time trying to keep a HL in captivity in my 17+ years of caring and raising herps. I came to this forum to get some expert advice and suggestions as well. (Thanks Lester!)

Anyway, I am VERY proud and happy to say that over 2 years later, my little buddy is alive and still going strong. I have a lot of herps, but of all of them, this little critter has a very special place in my heart. After learning the horrifying statistics of how many of these wonderful little creatures die when captured and sold in the pet trade, I have made it a point to do whatever I need to do to keep him alive and well. I keep his diet around 90% ants and 10% other insects and spiders. My primary goal is to one day set him free back into the wild, where he, and all Horny's should be kept, IMO.

Here are some pics of my buddy, Sand.

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions from everybody here. Take care all!

D. Ingrao

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]