kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Not completely true Lester! >>>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by loren on July 18, 2002 at 19:03:42:

In Reply to: Re: Not completely true Lester! >>> posted by Lester G. Milroy III on July 17, 2002 at 10:18:15:

Hi Lester,
In essence, you are right. I was not disputing the fact that, relative to all the WCs, CB HLs are all but non-existant. However, 1% is still 1% and because i breed HLs publically, your statement could be perceived by others as a directly disputing my claim to success. I'm not sure if you feel this way but i certainly do not feel like being perceived by newcomers as a liar either. So, hopefully you understand why i had to split hairs.

We seem to be in agreement on all but a couple issues surrounding HLs and i for one am glad to have someone of your experience and caliber working with HLs and contributing(sometimes running, LOL) this forum.

While i would certainly agree that commercial collection has had a negative impact on different HL species, I am also convinced that collection plays a relatively minor role in the decline of HLs. While this conviction might lead one to denounce all collection of HLs just to be safe, there are certain details involved in this mindset that, IMO, are counterproductive to some crucial elements of present and future HL conservation.

1. People are more willing to make sacrifices to protect animals they love. People come to love animals by learning about them and experiencing them (whether in nature, parks, reserves, zoos, TV, books or as a pet). So, people who are interetsed enough in HLs to try and keep one as a pet, while often deadly for the HL, are actually becoming more emotionally invested in HLs. The things they learn and the interest this experience generates may very well drive the next genration of HL conservationists. God knows the HLs are going to need lots of help from humans if they are going to continue.

2. Exaggerating the effects that commercial collection has on HL species is bad for two reasons: (1) It misrepresents the deeper, underlying causes that are at the roots of the HL's decline. If people think HLs are going extinct because ther are a bunch of greedy, non-caring yokels collecting them, then they will be less likely to come to terms with habitat loss through the development of their own town, or the pollution created in their state, or the non-native species that are taking over HL habitat or any of the root causes for HL declines. (2) It makes the entire reptile industry appear to outsiders as though it is the reason why reptiles are going extinct all over the planet. Once again, i must say that while collection certainly has its impact, species are going extint for other reasons. The reptile industry and responsible collection is a powerful tool for reptile education and conservation if circumstances allow and if caring, and responsible herp enthusuasts do the right thing.

Well, that's my 2-cents and my turn at rambling.
No hard feelings here Lester, just a rigorous mindset that promotes healthy disagreements and discourse :)
loren

: :Loren, I stand by my statement because there are thousands of HLs in the pet trade each year and less than 1% are "captive bred." There are no captive bred HLs in the pet trade and until that percentage increases significantly and the stress and "harvesting" of wild populations is diminished by that or greater significance, that is where I stand. Many HLs in the past, Texas HLs, Coast HLs, Regal HLs, Roundtails and Desert HLs, have been in the pet trade and laws have since been passed to exclude commercial collection and sale of HLs in the pet trade. The only species legal in the pet trade and commercial collection are the Desert HLs and a few Shorthorned lizards from Nevada and the Roundtail HLs from Texas. All others are protected from the pet trade and commercial collection. Declines in wild populations are mainly from development, loss of habitat, use of pesticides, invasion of nonnative species of plants and insects and illegal dumping in protected areas where HLs could be found. The pet trade has had an impact in the past on many species and to deny that is absurd. I am sorry if I ramble, but I see these problems all of the time in the field and in the reports I read for my research. The HLs in the pet trade have an extremely high mortality rate due to the lack of knowledge about HLs and the low success rate in captivity. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]