kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help, we have eggs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by A on July 03, 2002 at 05:17:06:

In Reply to: Help, we have eggs posted by PatF on July 02, 2002 at 19:07:43:

: Last weekend, after a fishing expedition, I spied a HL on the road. My two little boys, 8 and 10 had never see one before so we stopped the Jeep to check it out. After about 5 minutes of searching we found a one and a half inch HL in the grass close to the spot in the road where I had seen the larger one. We looked for another two or three minutes and found an adult. I wasn't planning on keeping them but since the boys had never seen one before and the fact that I had kept a pair for over 2 years when I was a kid I decided they could observe them for a week and then we would return them to where we found them. We brought them home and placed them in an unused 20 gallon aquarium with sand, a water dish and a few flat rocks. There is a big ant colony nearby so we collected some and fed the HL's, the little guy ate a few but the adult didn't seem interested. Three days later, this evening, when I got home from work my 10 year old informed me of 18 eggs in the tank. I would love to try to hatch them and release them all together. Do I stand a chance of hatching them? Is it possible for them to hatch in the tank they are in? Is there some sort of incubator available they could be hatched in? I need some help if possible, I would really like to be able to release a clutch of HL's in a few months.

yo u can maek an incubator out of a 10 gal. fishtank fill it half way with water put a submericble heater on the side of the tank
put bricks in the tank standing a little bit under the water and then put the eggs in a 70/50 vermiculite/water mix in a container and set the container on the tow bricks get a thermometer i dont know what the temp is for them and then cover the top of the tank with a towel or a piece of glass big enough for the top of the tank then wait about 4-6 weeks and you should have little baby HLs runnin around

hope this helps...

peace

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]