kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: formic acid

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Lester G. Milroy III on June 13, 2002 at 09:19:38:

In Reply to: Re: formic acid posted by A on June 12, 2002 at 23:43:19:

: : : hey all, i was wondering about a possible horned lizard supplement .. i was talking to soem guy in the pets reptiles chat and he said he fed them crickets and i told him that they needed formic acid and he said he knows he uses a supplement on the crickets .... his email is psycontronosaurus@aol.com

: : : if there is a supplement i want to know where i can get it ...
: : : im pretty sure there isnt one but there could be..

: : :
: : : thanks

: : :Speaking in technical terms it is impossible for there to be a supplement that can make a cricket, or any other insect, into the same nutrient value as ants. If someone says there is, they are scaming you and everybody else. There are no supplements that can make chicken have the same content as beef, or a supplement that can make coca cola into beer or wine. It sounds absurd does it not. Supplements do not make something into something else. The nutrients in ants are specific to ants. That is why they are ants and not crickets. Horned Lizards are physiologically designed by nature to eat ants. From the design of their teeth to a special blood factor that detoxifies ant venom. If it were not so, it would be a very taxing waste in the genetics of the HL and they would not survive in the state that they are. You cannot change the biological or physiological makeup of an animal by some supposed supplement. And even if there was a supplement, at what dose would you put on a cricket or a mealworm or a fly? Formic acid in its pure form is toxic, a poison. Think about it. If you do not understand the biology and the chemistry, go back and learn about it. If you think I am agitated, yes I am. Everyone wants an easy way out for taking "care" of an animal they do not even know about. That is one reason why the HLs are disappearing. You cannot collect 1000s of them and expect them to survive just to meet someone elses gain.

: :differently. Lester G. Milroy III This issue keeps coming up and no one reads the posts concerning this issue. If ther was such a material, and it was tested and proven, then I might react

:
: Yea lester i totally agree with you.. i was just wondering about that because that guy told me he had that and i argued with hime a bit about it ..
: i was just making sure that i was right and he wasnt.

: thanks

:Tell him to produce the material. Then after testing, a determination can be made. Just make sure you tell him that there is no "magic" potion. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]