kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: eek!!! so i was reading the forum....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Lester G. Milroy III on June 12, 2002 at 13:10:43:

In Reply to: eek!!! so i was reading the forum.... posted by beth on June 12, 2002 at 10:36:13:

: uh-oh...well....i hope the reptile store has informed my brother that they are protected!! i dont live in cali and i havnt read much about horned lizards.
: My apologies for sounding so incredibly stupid
: "yeh..i'm getting one shipped to me"
: that would be like me shipping out an eastern indigo. :(
: *hides*

: so, all of you guys that have these lizards... where did u get them? the ones in other states aren't protected yet?? is the california species very difrent from the other state's lizards?
: i was trying to find out some info on this...cause now i'm curious about these guys.

: ok another question...since my brother found this one in a busy shopping center...where should he release it? are there signs of sickness that he should look for...since it wasnt in a rural area?

: oh well...i'm feeling like a total jerk right now that my brother has this endangered lizard :(

: -beth

:Hello Beth.

Yes this is a big mega problem. The Coast Horned Lizards are a protected species. There are two subspecies, but both are protected, not only by the California ESA but by CITES, which is international law. Right now, if the horned lizards have been shipped, it is a Federal law violation, the Lacy Act. I am really surprised the reptile place or even UPS or FedEx would ship without checking. It is their bad too.
There are 13 different species of horned lizards in North America. 8 of those species are in the Southwestern United States. Only 3 species are allowed in the pet trade, and those 3 are only from two states, Nevada and Texas. Most of the folks on the forum get HLs directly or indirectly from Nevada mainly. That horned lizard is the Desert Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma platyrhinos. The other HL species is from Texas and it is the Roundtail Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma modestum. All other species require permits to possess. The permits are required for scientific study and education. It is illegal to sell any other species of HL, except as noted above. Each HL species is very different from the other and they come from a wide range of habitats.

Hope this gives you more info. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]