kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I'm not Lester but please read.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Lou Hamby on May 01, 2002 at 14:01:59:

In Reply to: my cage and getting in touch w/ Lester posted by Lisa on May 01, 2002 at 13:12:39:

: The outside sun cage is a 2 gal plastic type. The tank inside is a 30 gal showtank, long & lower than normal, w/ the regular dirt in the area and a native bush, a couple of rocks, and a small water dish. It is in a west window but we put the lizzard out for sun about 12:00 till 4-5. If Lester could E me, this PC wont let me click on your name. Thanks, Lisa

Lisa-any glass cage has the potential on a warm day of producing temps as high as 140 degrees. Proglog temps even at 105 with out cool off could expire. It's lucky they haven't hit temps high enough to kill them. If you want them outside which nothing like real sunlight, a 2X3 cage with home depot play sand and a screen cover so the animals or birds can't get to them would be ideal. They must not stay in direct sunlight, and the sand should be about 4" thick so they can dig down and get away from the heat if necessary. A glss cage is usually left inside the house with a desert reptile fourescent bulb and a 100 watt or maybe 150watt bulb on one side of the cage and the other side of the cage can be cool so the animals can thermo regulate their body tempratures. Be carefull about mositure as too much can be detremental. Remeber that ants are the mainstay of these animals diet and you must provide ants for these little guys or they are sure to die....I hape this helps, I'm sure Lester will add more. Just please be carefull about putting a glass cage in the sun.....!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]