kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I'm not Andy, but....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by electricbluescat on April 11, 2003 at 19:11:21:

In Reply to: I'm not Andy, but.... posted by chrish on April 11, 2003 at 15:32:00:

:He is correct that a Western would be the best Hog to start with due to the fact that they will eat rodents in captivity.

:As to his suggestion that you might find one from a herp store, I would get one from a breeder who deals with this species a lot and who will guarantee the snake is eating pinkies. A lot of stores will tell you what you want to hear to get rid of the snake. Breeders tend to have more of an emotional investement in their snakes (they want to them to do well).

::Andy is the care of a hognose and cage set up for one is it the same as a california kingsnake.

:Hogs can be cared for just like a kingsnake, although they are more likely to burrow into the substrate than use a hidebox. For that reason, I keep my hogs on aspen shavings and they burrow all over the place.

:Another thing about hogs is that they are largely diurnal, so it is best to offer food in the morning, rather than at night as many other snakes prefer.

:Read down this forum and see what experiences others have had with theirs. Be prepared for a snake that is willing to miss a meal occasionally (especially babies and males).

:Once you get into hogs, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

I plan to get the hognoses at the 2003 daytona show.
I have two people in mind in to buy from.

laterz,
john

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]