kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: could someone please help me here?????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Tim Madsen on March 04, 2003 at 15:30:22:

In Reply to: could someone please help me here????? posted by jimfmcdonald on March 03, 2003 at 23:48:55:

::how do I tell if I have PULCHERS or MATOGROSSENSIS . I looked on the hognose.com site but i still dont know for sure , i have a 1 year old female and a 2 year old male . the female is fater,and has a much larger head then the older male, and she has a lot more of the black tipping on the scales than the male. so are they both the same or do females differ from males in these ways ?? I will put there pictures on here if someone can tell me how to post pics .. thanks . JIM

:
:

They are most likely Pulchers, most in the states are. There is no way to tell for sure without seeing the animals. Females are much larger than males for all of the Hognose from the Western Hemisphere. There is a very good description of both of these snakes at Hognose.com. If you don't understand the Taxonomic lingo, it would be a good idea to get a book on the subject. Also there is a description of taxon terms in the Petersons field guide with drawings. I hope this is of some help.

Tim

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]