kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: dusty, plains,mexican, are they all westerns???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by rayesreptiles on March 02, 2003 at 22:02:50:

In Reply to: Re: dusty, plains,mexican, are they all westerns??? posted by rayesreptiles on March 02, 2003 at 21:55:01:

To fix what I said... westerns include the "plains" and "dusty" variation and the mexicans are the other subspecies. Westerns tend to have well defined spots down the back (talking about normal patterns here, not the striped) usually two with some populations have the two combine into one... in mexicans its generally blotches down the back, not two spots, and the blotches do not have defined edges (in my male they fade into the background color like he was watercolored).

I looked at the hognose.com site about dustys cuz I haven't heard about them in a while (as I said before I couldn't tell the difference they look like regular westerns to me). I think having them as just a variation of western is better... though I do think mexicans and westerns are different enough to be seperate subspecies.

:
:They are all subspecies... generally they are identified paritally by their spotting on the back (my westerns have very clean spotting compared to my mexican) and also where they are from. The whole species is called western (in contrast to platyrhinos, the easterns) but the westerns sold in the pet trade are the plains subspecies. Mexicans are from very southern US around the mexican border (mine is from texas) and I'm not sure about the dustys.... they honestly look like plains to me (note about the gallery of plains and dustys, some of the pics are mislabled currently)... i think they have the patterning of a western with it being more faded (dusty looking), but don't quote me on that.

:The subspecies generally aren't cross bred on purpose, as the other subspecies other than the plains/western are rarer and more sought after. They are probibly just the plains variation, but if you send pics I might be able to help you out, or post them to the forum for everyone to take a look.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]