kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

NOT necessarily

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on February 02, 2003 at 21:22:51:

In Reply to: That is based on one assumption... posted by chrish on February 02, 2003 at 12:52:24:

My suggestion certainly would test the role of defensive secretions in prey recognition, however it would not necessarily assume that defensive secretions are the sole chemical cue used by snakes. Despite prey items not being alarmed, I am assuming that the defensive secretions are still part of the skin and probably contribute to the identifying smell of the animal. My major adviser did her Ph.D. thesis on the feeding habits of cottonmouths, when I meet with her tomorrow perhaps she could provide me with her opinion.

Despite what would seem the norm for a hognose, they don't seem too fond of the water. Perhaps there is an evolutionary advantage to eating the terrestrial species with defensive secretions. I believe it was Dennis Desmond who makes the claim that it is a possibility that hognoses depend on the secretions of Bufo sp to control endoparasites. Which makes sense because of the high mortality rate of wildcards and hognoses that are switched to mice.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]