kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Totally agree! Hoggies are the best! n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by The Doc on January 03, 2003 at 05:15:20:

In Reply to: Re: Some questions about the Western Hognose... posted by Canio on January 02, 2003 at 22:33:56:

::Hi,
::I've been researching the "red" western hognose snake. Hopefully they will have a couple at the New York Expo next weekend.
::Basically, I've been debating between a hognose or a kenyan sand boa. Kenyans spend the whole day under the substrate. I've read the hognose's are a burying species...do they spend a lot of time covered under the substrate? This will be my first hognose purchase, please let me know of any helpful tips/websites.
::Thanks,
::Peter F.

:
:My hognose kind of varies. She usually spends all of feeding day out looking for her tasty pinkies I assume, the next two days burried, while she digests, and then the rest of the week is burried part of the day and out for part of the day. I have no trouble seeing her as she is not burried all of the time, and she is a very gentle and not to mention adorable little snake. She seems to like being held and will generally curl around a finger or two and watch tv with me (she is a big Lord of the Rings fan LOL). She eats well, though I did have to start feeding her live pinkies after she wouldn't eat frozen-thawed. All in all a wonderful little friend. I don't know anything about Sand Boas, but in my very biased opinion - go with the hognose :)

:Jon
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]