kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Amphibian Decline

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on December 19, 2002 at 21:58:20:

In Reply to: Re: Amphibian Decline posted by Clintsky on December 19, 2002 at 20:28:27:

I have not problems with sacrificing one toad to save hundreds. In fact, I keep only toads as I find that the shed skin is best for scenting.

As far as your observations. What I can say is that the literature I have read on amphibian populations often contradict any qualitative observations. Amphibians are subject to extreme population fluctuations and the observations from any one year probably are not indicative of the population on an average. I have often explained to people on these forums who have lesser understanding of ecology than you, that casual observations are no replacement of research conducted with scientific methods, nor will it ever discredit the mountains of literature produced on the subject over the last 20 yrs. If amphibian populations are stable or increasing in your area, then that is fantastic. But I don't think that alone should be a deciding factor in your belief of amphibian decline! In fact, perceived abundance (or even presence) is no indicator of population stability. Recent studies on the common herbicide, atrazine, and shown that extremely low concentrations of the chemical can cause hermaphroditism in males. Anybody making casual observations could easily say these frogs are not in danger, when in fact the males are virtually useless to the population because of their sterility. In no way should the deformed males be counted as a credit towards the species population.

Great discussion!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]