kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: off topic..but i need advise on importation.. pls read ..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Colchicine on December 10, 2002 at 20:07:38:

In Reply to: off topic..but i need advise on importation.. pls read .. posted by kristin on December 10, 2002 at 10:45:03:

My general rule is that healthy animals should should stay in their livable habitats, with very few exceptions. I have to deal with people on a daily basis who insist on keeping box turtles and other herps they know nothing about. My experience has convinced me even more that animals are already at a disadvantage without people ripping them from their homes.

The bottom line here is that you can safely assume that the people responsible for the collection of the snake have a complete disregard for nature, muchless the individual animal. They have probably collected animals in an unsustainable manner in an area where laws for protecting wildlife are either absent or not enforced. I feel even stronger about animals from Asia and Madagascar, as I have heard too many horror stories about those places for me to disregard them. I think you know what you would be doing by buying this animal, and you should be able to see that your personal desires shouldn't always come before the welfare of wild animals. Really though, don't think you can do without this snake??? Isn't there SOME captive bred snake that you would like equally as much??

The reasoning behind arguing that all animals were at one time wild caught, and that it doesn't hurt anything to collect more, is simply flawed. In cases of the animals you mentioned, they are many times removed from their wild ancestors. The impact on the wild populations is practically zero because of the actual benefit of having captive bred animals. The purchase of this animal supports, in the most direct way possible, the capture of wild animals for profit.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]