kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hope this helps..........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Jeff on May 05, 2002 at 15:57:07:

In Reply to: Some questions.................................. posted by Kevin Earley on May 05, 2002 at 07:10:45:

Here is the shots from this morning..

5:30 this morning

: Thanks for the photos and the data. I have some questions.

:
: 1. What time were these observations made?
The exact time was 7:11pm. There was a 30 minute delay from discovery to the time it took me to photo him. Time of photo was 7:44pm

: 2. What was the daytime high during the day?
82 degrees

: 3. What was the ambient air temperature?
At the time of photo the ambient was 69.7 degrees

: 4. Approximately how big would you estimate its size.
Roughly 14~16 inches. Guesstimate because of postition

: 5. Do you feel it was there to
: a. Escape the hikers/potential preadators.
: b. Obtain heat from the rock because the ambient air temp was too low.
: c. Remain cooler among the rock because the ambient air was too high during the day.

I believe b is correct. Gila's show no fear of humans or anything else. I have also found 82~85 degrees to be a "comfort zone" for them.
:

: Any answers you could give would be greatly appreciated it. My first thought would be that it was there to remain "warm" throughout the night, especially since his temperature was warmer than the surrounding rock. This might be correct if the ambient air temperature was lower than the rock and the rock was just radiating heat that it had absorbed during the daylight hours. However this could be a wrong hypothesis if the air temperature was higher and the time of day was just a few hours after the sun went down. In other words the correlation between the rock temperature and the air temperature was different in the opposite ratio. (I don't know if I expalined that well enough).

: Thanks

: Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]