kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: anyone wanna help?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Kevin Earley on February 24, 2002 at 21:48:02:

In Reply to: anyone wanna help? posted by Monitor keepeR on February 24, 2002 at 20:51:21:

I would imagine it all boils down to what state you live in on wether it is "legal" or not. In my state Florida you have to have 2 different state permits (not including any local municipality ordinaces). One is for the possession of venomous reptiles the other is for the sale or exhibit of exotic animals.

I think in addition the question should be added "Is it ethical or right to do it?"

During a routine inspection of a facility and their paperwork, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservasion Commission will verify where the animal originated from prior to the purchase as well as if the current owner has the legal right to possess it. If the individual that sold you the animal does not have the proper permits to do so they can be(and usually are) fined. Since it is also an animal that is protected to some extent throughout its range and is "high profile" when it comes to poaching as well they will verify legal origin as well. Anything that doesn't meet their criteria can be confiscated and the individual can be charged depending on the severity of the violation. Florida, to my understanding, is more strict than some states in the issuance of some permits.

In my opinion it is NOT worth the loss of my collection to risk the inability to verify legal origin. And this is just in the State of Florida where they are not indigenous to. I can only imagine that it would be alot worse in the states within their range(California, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico).

Some states don't even allow the possession of venomous reptiles, regardless of the species, in the "private sector".

I would imagine people like Dr. Seward, Robert Applegate, Don Hamper, Steve Osbourne, and the multitude of other individuals that regularly captive breed these would be better at answering this question for you. I have never sold a gila but I do know what I want when it comes to paperwork when purchasing one.

You will find, as a discussion previously revealed, that an individuals opinion of "legal paperwork" differ from person to person.

I don't know if this helps you or not but it might open the door for more experienced people to comment as well.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]