kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Yes, I too have a photo to share......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by tom on January 11, 2002 at 16:56:13:

In Reply to: Yes, I too have a photo to share...... posted by kerry on January 10, 2002 at 17:29:43:

Hey kearly. Maybe family of your six bands??

: ......looks like there IS inteligent life on Mars, the lizard and plants that is, certainly NOT the man(myself) in this photo(LOL).

: The photo was taken by my friend Jeff Mitchell near St. George, Utah, in May of 1993 at construction site located in prime Gila Monster habitat. It was the second time I had encountered this very lizard, the first time being almost exactly one year earlier. Yes, he was literally within feet of the marker when encounterd. He was one of an estimated twenty-six Gilas living in the area of impending habitat destruction. Eight years later in May of 2001 I was fortunate enough to find him again living in exactly the same area he had frequented before, which was at the furthest point away from the construction on the property that had been developed. All of the other lizards that lived closer in to "ground zero" have disappeared, and from the "sign" I've been able to locate it is likely that only a few others(no more than 3 or 4 total) remain in the small undesturbed area between the area where this male lives and the next nearest habitat destroying developement, which by the way is only a little more than a quarter-mile away. Time IS NOT on the side of the Gila Monster in Utah. By the time developers run out of room here we may have lost up to 90% of the most favorable habitat needed to support their continued existance. By comparison, the endangered Desert Tortoise is fairing far better here.

: If you take a good look at the tail of this big ol' male(not me, the lizard) you will see that he has six tailbands(5 plus the tip), one more than is typical of cinctum.

: ENJOY!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]