kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: DARN..I was hoping he was really that big......(more)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by ag on January 02, 2002 at 20:48:48:

In Reply to: DARN..I was hoping he was really that big......(more) posted by kearley on January 02, 2002 at 20:27:38:

: I used to work for a Herpetologist that specialized in turtles and tortoises. He was no slouch when it came to snakes or lizards either but his passion was turtles and tortoises. Anyway he used to tell me about a guy he knew (I believe) in Louisiana that had a gila that was "every bit of 36 inches long". Of course I said "No way", "Your crazy", "must have been a horridum" etc. etc. But I actually wondered because this wasn't somebody that was just spouting a "wive's tale" or a story someone else had told them.

: I began to think that maybe it was possible for them to get this big. Theoretically reptiles never stop growing they just slow down considerably after they reach sexual maturity. So was it possible that if one lived long enough and had a genetic propensity to be a "giant" and lived under ideal circumstances with plenty of food that they could get that big. Who knows? It would definitly be an impressive sight.

Well Kearley, in this (embarrassing) case I believe that I got the Gila's length mixed up with the lean mean beaded here. Or it *may* have just been residual effects from New Years :)! I actually sort of like the fact that Gilas stay small, at least compared to the beadeds. A freakishly large one would be a sight though! Like you, I've heard some tall tales....or are they???

ag

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]