kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A Chondro display enclosure...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on May 08, 2003 at 06:27:10:

In Reply to: A Chondro display enclosure... posted by greg schroeder on May 05, 2003 at 11:17:59:

Yeah, I've had several go off feed when I changed their enclosures. Thus far these two in this enclosure are doing fine. I normally don't use display enclosures for anything because I don't display anything, just thought I'd give this a try. I was redoing my office and thought a couple of Chondros would look good in there. If they start to show signs of stress, I'll just put them back in the rack enclosures with the rest and put a bunch of White's tree frogs or something in the display.

::I posted this below in another thread entitled "Cage building question?"

::Let me know (honestly) what you think...ideas for improvements are welcome. I usually keep my animals in plastic tubs/shoeboxes, etc. in racks but I wanted to have a Chondro display also.

::The full description of the cage is in the other thread below.

:
:Your display enclosure looks nice. Plants and natural perches always make things look nice. :O)

:I've found that many green tree pythons will hide up high in the back if they're feeling a bit like their under inspection. Recently I pulled one gtp from its plastic tub to upsize the enclosure. I had set up a cool deal with plants and natural perches. The snake I was doing this for had never missed a meal since hatch. Bam! off food once in the cool larger enclosure. I did try leaving her in this larger enclosure for a couple weeks to see if she would settle in, but she wanted nothing to do with it. All she did was hide in the back top corner of this particular 2 x 2 x 2 cube shape enclosure. I put her back in the undersized plastic tub and right back to food that evening.

:Some people might choose to flip a taller and larger type enclosure on its side, but then again if a snake is eating and making use of the majority of the area durring its active times, tall and narow might be fine. It would be nice if we could ask the snakes what they want?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]