kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

OK..that image link didn't work, let me try another...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on May 01, 2003 at 08:17:21:

In Reply to: Here is one I built for a display cage... posted by oldherper on May 01, 2003 at 08:15:44:

:The top part (the cage enclosure) is made of 5/8" Oak cabinet grade plywood. The outside has a polyurethane finish, the inside of the enclosure received 3 coats of polyurethane, then all joints were sealed with Silicone, then the entire interior was coated with 3 coats of polyester fiberglass resin for waterproofing. The viewing window is plexiglass. The dimensions are 24"w x 24" deep x 36" high.

:The bottom cabinet contains controls for the automatic sprinkling system, thermostats for temperature control with timers for night-drop, and light timers for photoperiod. The lighting is a 24" flourescent fixture with Gro-light bulbs (for the plants), an incandescent Gro-light fixture for supplemental heat and supplemental daylight-spectrum light. Main heat source is a ceramic heat emitter fixture.

:The sprinker system was built using lawn sprinkler system components and I tied it into my home water supply using materials intended for connecting refrigerator ice makers. The sprinkler head is a piece of 1/2" sch, 40 PVC capped off on both ends with 1/32" holes drilled at 1/2", intervals alternating from one side to the other the length of the bottom of the pipe. The water drains through the substrate into a 5-gallon bucket in the lower cabinet via a bathroom sink drain in the bottom of the cage.

:Total cost to build was around $450.00, including controls.

:As you can see from the picture, one of my Chondros developed a habit of hanging around on the sprinker at the top of the cage. She was really annoyed every time the sprinkler turned on, but she still stayed there. I've since fixed that problem by "fencing off" the sprinkler pipe with 1/4" hardware cloth.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]