kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: eggs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by Damon Salceies on March 17, 2003 at 23:48:32:

In Reply to: eggs posted by tunahound on March 17, 2003 at 21:43:37:

Richard,

Had the vet not administered oxytocin, you may have been able to use a large guage-needled syringe to partially aspirate the contents of the eggs through the body wall. While I've never had to use that technique with my tree pythons, it's worked very well with Colubrids. Relieving just a small amount of pressure often helps the female to pass the eggs. Since the vet did administer oxytocin, the oviduct is no doubt very tightly adhered to the eggs. I'm afraid you have only two real options at this point....arrange surgery to remove the bound eggs, or wait it out. In any case it's likely that the female will not breed again. Surgery, no matter how precise, often leaves enough scar tissue on the oviduct that the female will likely bind again were she to progress through another reproductive bout. Waiting is very rarely fruitful and often sees the female to an untimely death due to complications when the eggs harden inside her. It's a difficult position to be in and I feel for you. Hopefully she'll pass them on her own and it will be a non-issue. Keep her well hydrated (even if you have to give her SQ injections of normal saline). Make sure she has a comfortable place where she might lay the remainder of the clutch and keep your fingers crossed.

Take care and keep us posted!
Damon

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]